Monday, January 30, 2012

Star Gazer: Commentary

In my last post, I composed the first haiku for this blog. The haiku entitled “Star Gazer” sought to capture that sense of awe and wonder that a young boy feels on looking at the night sky. It also suggests that the boy feels alone and insignificant in relation to the universe. This haiku emerged out of a meditation on our position in the universe. It’s also semi-autobiographical, as I still have a memory of me as a young boy observing the night sky as an amateur astronomer. Here, I don’t intend to engage into any extensive analysis but I aim this commentary to encourage thought and reflection on the meaning that can be inferred from this haiku.

Let’s look at the first line:

Stars light up the night

This line introduces the setting for the haiku. If you consider the nature of stars and how they appear to us on Earth, you might be forgiven for thinking that they are small specks of light. But, our knowledge about the stars has meant that we know that stars are massive bodies that reside many light years away. In this reality, are we that great as a human race? Shouldn’t we be more humble when we’re so small and powerless in comparison to the strong forces that we find in the universe?

a boy stares above in awe

This second line evokes a sense of wonder expressed particularly by children. Until we grow older, we can still look at the world around us with fresh eyes. Unfortunately, when we grow older, we grow attached to a rigid outlook and lose the ability of perceiving life as it is. In a sense,we build barriers between us and separate people from us on the basis of divergent characteristics - thus failing to recognize our shared humanity and co-dependence.]]

If we're all alone

The last line is structured as if it was a question but it is framed as a statement. There is a certain feeling of uncertainty and doubt as we contemplate our existence in relation to the universe. The point here is that, in spite of the immensity of the universe, which should increase the likelihood of alien life, we are still alone - even if there is also the possibility of an alien life, it seems that there is no other one out there. But, in truth, civilisations have implicitly believed in what are, at first glance, not alien life forms. Of course, I’m talking about God, angels and other divine beings. While we don’t usually regard these beings, if they exist, as alien, they fulfil the non-Earthly attributes of the idea of an alien. While it would be considered heretical to call the divine aliens, the reality is that if these beings exist, then there’s no reason why they can’t be considered aliens. I could argue that point no end I guess but as we come to end of my commentary, there is an equally seriousness about the aloneness of the human species. While I am no stranger to feeling like an outsider, everyone of us risks becoming an alien or stranger to ourselves and to others.

Conclusion

There’s no doubt that the universe compels us to ask a lot of questions about our existence, origins and position in the cosmos. I feel humbled and somewhat lucky for being here, of being alive. Like that boy who used to spend nights observing the night sky, I still wonder why I am here today. What is my purpose here? I still ask what will become of me after my life ends. And it will end. It’s when I think of all the things that I cannot understand and will probably never will in this lifetime that I regret the many times I took life for granted. For whether you believe or not, there’s no doubt that our lives are unique. And about what happens to us after death, well perhaps we will also become a star lighting the night sky. But now, I will do my best to live a good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment